What you need to do to make a complaint to the OIA
Completing the provider's procedures
Before we can look at your complaint you will need to take your complaint through the internal complaints or appeals procedures of the provider.
If you are unsure how to make a formal complaint or appeal to the provider, please see the provider handbook and/or website.Your students' union may also be able to help you. We cannot give advice about the procedures of any provider because we are an independent review body.
Once you have completed the provider's procedures, it should give you a Completion of Procedures Letter. If you think you have completed the internal complaints or appeals procedures of the provider and it has not provided a Completion of Procedures Letter, you should write to the provider and ask it to send you one, or tell you how to complete its procedures. Keep copies of all correspondence with the provider and if it does not reply within a reasonable time, please contact us.
In exceptional circumstances, we may look at a complaint where the internal complaints or appeals procedures have not been completed. You will need to complete our OIA Complaint Form and explain why you do not have a Completion of Procedures Letter.
Making a complaint to the OIA
If you are not satisfied with the provider's final decision and would like the OIA to review your complaint, you should complete an OIA Complaint Form. You can also contact us by e-mail, post or telephone and we will send you a Form.
If you require an adjustment to the way we communicate with you due to a specific accessibility or disability need please contact us by e-mailing email@example.com or calling 0118 959 9813.
We must receive your signed OIA Complaint Form in this Office within 12 months of the date of the Completion of Procedures Letter; otherwise we will consider your complaint to be out of time. For example, if your Completion of Procedures Letter is dated 7 January, we should receive your Complaint Form by 7 January the following year.
However, if your Completion of Procedures Letter is dated on or before 8 July 2015 we must receive your Complaint Form within three months of the Letter's date.
Please also send us a copy of the Completion of Procedures Letter and a copy of your complaint or appeal (if you have it). Keep proof of posting or sending us your OIA Complaint Form.
Checklist for making a complaint to the OIA
- Is your complaint something the OIA can look at?
- Have you completed the provider's internal complaints or appeals procedures?
- Has your provider sent you a Completion of Procedures Letter?
- Complete and sign a Complaint Form and send it to us with a copy of the Completion of Procedures Letter
- Send us your Complaint Form in good time. It must be received in our Office within 12 months of the date of the Completion of Procedures Letter. However, if your Completion of Procedures Letter is dated on or before 8 July 2015 we must receive it within three months of the Letter's date.
- If you have a copy of the complaint or appeal you submitted to the provider, please enclose this with your form